In partenship with the Pépinières Européennes de Création network, the ADN association – USINE UTOPIK is lauching an open call for a 54 days artistic residency in visual arts in March/April 2020.
Deadline : 25 October 2019
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS : ARTISTIC RESIDENCIES IN VISUAL ARTS
The call for residence is opened to all graduate artists with professional practice in contemporary creation (painting, sculpture, installation, photo, drawing, ceramics, performance, etc.) There are no age limit or nationality restrictions that apply. At the rate of six residences per year, from spring to autumn, the Usine Utopik simultaneously hosts two artists. This organization requires collaboration during the exhibition that can lead to a joint art project.
During the residency, artists are invited to question their work in relation with the site of the residence, its history and its geography. The artist must take into account the specificities of the building in his or her creative process and in the presentation.
The greenhouse of Usine Utopik is a very large space of 1500m2 including workshops and an exhibition area of 400m2 (20 meter wide and 4 to 6 meter high). This space offers a very high brightness, limiting certain projects which can be a difficulty for certain projects (diffusion of images from video projectors, screens, tv, etc). The Building has thermal differences related to the « greenhouse effect ». This constraint must be taken into account in projects with fragile materials such as photographs. All these parameters must be studied for projects presenting videos, photos, drawings, etc… A visit before the residence can be advised to evaluate the feasibility of the project.
The welcoming artists are in a process of opening the Green House to the public. Thus, part of the creation process is also meeting with the public and hosting a workshop of artistic practices.
The residence takes place over a period of 54 days. The presence of the artist is required during 45 days. During the residency, if the artist must to be absent for other solicitations, including participation in external events, he must respect the authorized days off: that is 3 consecutive days (in a total of 9 days), provided that is compatible with the residency schedule (welcoming of the public) and the attendance card signed each day. The disrespect of this rule will result in a daily penalty of 50€ (per day of absence).
Projects with digital dimension can be envisaged via the high camera device definition. We want to encourage innovative projects, including new technologies. This material available to the artists can serve as artistic support as an exchange tool via the videoconferencing device used in network with the colleges and high schools of the department.
Period of residence
54 days in March/April 2020
- The housing is taking in charge by the Usine Utopik. The apartment is occupied by all the artists simultaneous in residence. Each artist has a bedroom and are expected to share the dining room, the kitchen, the bathroom and the toilet.
- A workshop is available in the center.
- Technical assistance can be envisaged within the limits of the financial means of the structure.
- The Usine Utopik offers electro-portable tools (for more precision on the equipment, please consult us)
- The water and electricity charges are assumed by the Usine Utopik. Wi-Fi access is provided at each workshop.
- The Usine Utopik takes care of all the expenses related to the inauguration of theexhibition (communication, opening…)
- The telephone calls, the trips and the food expenses are in charges of the artist.
- For residency, it’s strongly recommended to have a car because the municipality of Tessy does not benefit public transport (bus and train). The nearest town, Saint-Lô is 18 kms away.
Financial assistance of 3750€ is allocated to the residence, including a creation grant (payment of a lump sum) including a financial assistance for the production costs associated with the residency, up to a limit of 1500€ upon presentation of the receipts.
ADN association – USINE UTOPIK is a creation center of Contemporary Art, located on a rural territory in the small town of Tessy Bocage (Normandy region). The creation center is placed in an old horticultural greenhouse).
Located in a municipality of 1500 inhabitants, the residences at Usine Utopik can offers a privileged framework for artists who wants to create artistic projects and it also has a large space for an exhibition. The center contributes to support artists in all phases of the their work, from research to diffusion.
The Usine Utopik wants to be a space for experiments and research, in order to promote art projects, to encourage meetings with the public through times of exchange, discovery and practice. Usine Utopik also hosts writers in residence and presents a diversified cultural program (exhibitions, art library, public readings, editorial policy, etc.) dedicated to bring publics with different artistic expressions.
- Deadline : 25.10.2019
- The selection committee will meet around mid November 2019
- Additional information and applications via le site de l’Usine Utopik
- L’Usine Utopik is supported by : l’Union Européenne – Programme Leader ; Conseil Régional de Normandie ; Conseil Général de la Manche ; Ministère de la Culture et de la Communication – DRAC Normandie ; Agglo Saint-Lô ; Commune de Tessy-sur-Vire
- The Usine Utopik calls for residencies 2019-2020 are supported by the Pépinières Européennes de Création network.
- Visual credits (photo background) : Usine Utopik