Call for project : Pépinières Européennes de Création – Domaine Du Tournefou | Artist residencies @ Pâlis – Photography | Deadline : 31/12/2018
On the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the passing of Jean Renoir, this call for project is designed for an artist-photographer who will propose a work associating contemporary creation with the Jean Renoir’s touch, with his cinematographic style, and more generaly, drawing inspiration from the environmental surroundings of the municipality of Essoyes and from the Renoir artists family. The artist will notably draw inspiration from the painter Pierre-Auguste, the cineaste’s father, who wrote about him : « The main frontier for him was between those who percieve and those who reason ».
The photographic creations of the artist in residence at the Domaine du Tournefou will be exphibited at Renoir Cultural center in the course of summer 2019, in resonance with the great Renoir exhibition, programmed at the same time in the Municipality of Essoyes.
The artist’s stay in residence is supported by the Essoyes municipality, the Renoir Cultural Center and the Domaine du Tournefou in Palis, Aube department, the latter being is an artistic and cultural center as well as a priviledged place of residences for artists. This specific residence will permit public participation through following presentations :
- An “open sudio” day, intended for an open meeting with the public, an occasion for the artist to present his(her) work in progress at the Domaine du Tournefou and/or at Renoir Cultural Center ;
- A mediation workshop intended for a school public at the Domaine du Tournefou ;
- An exhibition of artist’s works at the Renoir Cultural Center.
Artist-in-Residence conditions from May 1 to 31, 2019 :
– Full board lodging at the Domaine du Tournefou comprising : a 35m² creation studio and independent studio or single room with small kitchen, lounge and dining room to be shared with an artist in residence. The artist will also have the possibility to stay at the caretaker’s logde in Essoye casle, during his(her) moving onto the area.
- Creation-in-residence grant : 1000 € (including display rights for the exhibition)
- Exhibition production : on the basis of 18 prints, size 40×50 cm (that can be modified), including framing, which is taken in charge by Philippe Brame’s photographic studio (www.philippebrame.com)
- Artist’s transportation : one round trip from artist’s place of living to artistic residence are taken in charge, two round trips from place of residence to Essoyes are taken in charge.
If artist has no vehicule, there is a possibility to organise his(her) moving from residence (carsharing or other transport, which will be in charge of the artist).
This residence is aimed at professional, as well as emerging artists. The candidate must be motivated and show a sensibility for transmission and education skills. He(she) must master French and/or English language(s).
Selection of the laureate by the comity will be made upon project propositions submitted by candidates.
Selection comity members are : Mr Alain Cintrat, Mayor of Essoyes and/or his representative, Mrs Béatrice Richard, President of Renoir Association and/or her representative, Mrs Sophie Bouts, President of Tournefou Association and/or her representative, Mr Philippe Brame, author- photograph, artistic consellor with Tournefou Association, Mr Dominique Gengembre, Director of Renoir Cultural Center.
The application folder should include :
- An argued note of intent describing your project and the steps you envisage to carry it ou
- A CV or biography
- A file presenting your work already done, enhancing on recent wo
Application files must be sent by email, in one sole PDF file (not exeeding 10 Mo) to :
DOMAINE DU TOURNEFOU | ARTISTS-IN-RESIDENCE | MISSION
Particularly dedicated to the fields of reasearch and creation, initiator of a new form of artistic and cultural development, the Tournefou Domain has a vocation to be a home of confidence for artists who came to experiment an artistic presence in rural territory.
The Tournefou, being a pluridisciplinary place of production and exhibitions, also allows the artist possibilities to meet with the population, the environment, places of art and culture and partners of the Tournefou’s program.
Each stay in residence has its peculiarity, and attention is driven towards two priorities :
- the artist’s project, so that he(she) can implement his(her) work in the best possible conditions,
- transmission of the artist’s work of art through educational action and mediation in proximity with the publ
A particular attention will be focused on candidacies which consider art as the fondation of our commun future, proposing a resolutely clearsighted and poetic work.
The Domaine du Tournefou is a place, inhabited and managed by a permanent team, comprising artists and artistic conselors who consider the concern about the individual and human communities as being at the heart of their actions.
It is a place of diffusion and artistic education, as well as a place of encounters and exchanges.
In accordance with our artist-in-residence mission, spaces and times are conceived to offer you the best conditions for a work of creation, while dedicating other periods of time to discoveries and transmission, a balance which represents three commitment creteria : silence, relationship, confidence.
The Domaine du Tournefou is located in the village of Palis (600 inhabitants), a commune including three villages : Aix-Villemaur-Pâlis, in the Aube department, Grand Est Region. This harmonious and silent environment is at 30 mn’s drive from Troyes and Nogent-sur- Seine, 1h from Essoyes and 1h30 from Paris or Reims. You will find a bakery and a post office box in the village. Nearest banking facilities are in Aix-en-Othe (at 7 km), as well as a chemist’s, other shops and supermarkets. A traditional open air market is also proposed in Aix-en-Othe on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
The village of Palis is located in the countryside, where ways of transport are scarce.
You may go to Nogent-sur-Seine railways station, to Troyes or Essoyes by means of :
- carsharing : depending on travels of the Domaine’s team and advising them in advance,
- renting a vehicle, or with you own car.
We recommend you to come with all what is necessary for your work of creation, or to forecast necessary shipping time limits when you place an order for material (up to three weeks).
Running on from an ancient Champain style farm of the XVIIIth century, the artits’ alley comprises 5 individual studios, led by a large alley opening onto a wooded park. Each studio has an internet connection and free Wifi is provided for the artists in residence.
See photos of our residences (studios and lodgings) on following link :
- Either in an independant studo with bathroom and small kitchen,
- Or in an individual bedroom with bathroom and small kitchen equiped wih chimney to be shared with another resident.
Every artist has the reponsibility to keep his(her) room and common areas clean. Bedsheets and towels will be provided according to your needs. A washing machine is at your disposal for your clothes and towels. During his(her) stay in residence, everyone will be attentive to tidyness and harmony of the place.
- La résidence est portée par la municipalité d’Essoyes, le Centre Culturel Renoir et le Domaine du Tournefou à Pâlis dans l’Aube, Centre artistique et culturel et lieu de résidence privilégié. En partenariat avec les Pépinières Européennes de Création.
tournefou2018 – domainedutournefou.com