CALL FOR APPLICATIONS : LANGAGE PLUS, MAP, ARTIST RESIDENCIES, ALMA, QUÉBEC
In the Framework of the Map mobility programme, Pépinières européennes de Création and Langage Plus (+ its partner the Sagamie Center) launch a call for applications for a 2 months residency, from February 5 to April 4, 2020.
Amount of the scholarship attributed to the selected artist
The Conseil des Arts et des Lettres du Québec offers a grant of 2 000$/month for a maximum total of 4 000$.
Deadline : November 17th, 2019
Demystifying contemporary art by building bridges between creation and human dialogue is a strategy aiming to broaden the public’s sensitivity to art. The artistic residency will be inspired by art and life, will be rooted in the community and its development and will develop through observation and collaboration, in communion with a group from Alma’s local or regional community. The experience will be both sensitive and instructive, will bring together different perspectives, its approach will be unique and its results varied.
We seek to democratise art by progressive development of closer bonds between the artist and the urban or rural communities (from Quebec, native and multi-cultural) in order to fulfill the objective of trying to integrate art into daily life, so that it may become a creative force in localities that are far away from the large metropolis. The project may be distributed by Langage Plus as a fitting response to the intercultural challenge and a celebration uniting varied cultures.
Fields of expression proposed for the residency
- Visual arts
Period of the résidence
- From February 5 to April 4, 2020
The conditions offered
- The Conseil des Arts et des Lettres du Québec offers a grant of 2 000$/month for a maximum total of 4 000$. The residency will depend on the attribution of this grant.
- A professional context of excellence (see below)
- The artist may submit additional funding applications, in which case he/she must do so independently;
*Langage Plus does not cover travel expenses, but undertakes to send you a letter of invitation that will eventually help you find, on your own additional help for your air tickets.
Artists are hosted in a studio (loft), outside of Langage Plus’ space and attached to a privatespace. Private access and possibility to benefit from the other areas of the house (living room,kitchen, cleaning room). The studio is located close to a grocery store and 15 minutes awayby foot from Langage Plus and the city center.
Material resource made availableto the artist
The artist will dispose over a creation studio, a Mac computer with image manipulationsoftware’s (Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro), an access to common spaces(documentation center, conference room, kitchen, etc.), carpentry equipment, audiovisual equipment, a technician skilled in numeric arts…
Meansused to promote the artist’s work
Langage Plus offers the invited artist the possibility to exhibit its final work at the end of his stay in the project room of the center in the form of a solo exhibition, promoted with posters, invitation card and PR communication by press release. As the exhibition is part of the annual programming of the Centre, it will also be diffused on the Québec self-managed artists centre’s website (RCAAQ).
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Deadline : 17.11.2019
- Number of laureate : 1
- period of residence : 2 monthes
For any further information, please contact Jacques Urbanska : email@example.com > Object of the email (IMPORTANT) : LP2020 Call – request
- The call is aimed primarily at emerging professional artists (the emerging artist concept is left to the discretion of the jury, which will be based primarily on the artist’s career more than on his age).
- Have your principal residence or be able to justify a professional activity in: continental Europe or in Francophonie (except Canada)
- have a professional artistic status;
- Must imperatively stay in Alma for the duration of the residence (without family);
- No other professional obligations for the duration of the residency.
Langage Plus and the Sagamie Center will work together to offer the artists a two months residency, once a year. Langage Plus provides the artists with housing and hosting, coordinates the project and supports the artist along their residency time (human, technical and material resources). The Center also takes in charge the contacts with a targeted group of the community and takes care of all the necessary to ensure the follow-up between the artists and the participants.
The Sagamie Center offers the invited artist the services of a technician skilled in numeric arts to assist him in his creation process.
The host organisation
Langage Plus is a space for current art where research and creation lead to a various range of exhibitions, residencies, events and educational activities. By hosting artists from here and elsewhere, Langage Plus allows a large regional audience to discover and experiment today’s art, thus participating to the notoriety of the city of Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean on the national and international scene.
The artistic direction aims at offering a diverse range of activities linked to its orientations that are :
- individual and collective identity;
- territory and its appropriation;
- art and life, its anchorage in the community and its future;
- current art’s purposes and development possibilities.
Langage Plus is place that keeps aware about the problematics linked to current art and alsoa creation space that stays opened to the world.
The City of Alma covers a superficy of 202 Km2, with 15% as urbanized territory. The city has 30 463 inhabitants. The presence of a heavy industry ensures the economy while small and middle-sized firms contribute to the current development of the city. We want to highlight the fact that the center-city of Alma plays an important role in local dynamism and this thanks to the efforts of the local community. A large part of the territory is covered by crops that also contribute to the economic development of the city. Finally, from a geographic point of view, Alma shares a border with the Saint-Jean Lake and crossed by two rivers, the Petite Décharge and the Grande Décharge – big and small relief, that form the Saguenay river at their junction. Generally, the territory of Alma is marked by many geographic accidents like accidented reliefs, deep ravines, rock outcrops. However, although these strains can be considered as obstacles on physical or economical point of view, they contribute to give a very particular urban landscape, by its proximity to beautiful natural sites that ignore monotony. At a cultural level, the region of Saguenay-LacSt-Jean offers a wide range of activities and events in current art and constitutes a privileged place for artistic experimentation. This is partly due to the presence of numerous pedagogical institutions from secondary to university. Four Art centers are present on the territory, as well as three organisms providing workshops and specialized tools (carpentry, cinema production etc.), positioning the region as the 3 rd in terms of cultural poles after the cities of Québec and Montréal.
DOSSIER & SOUMISSION DE CANDIDATURE
Application file must include
- an updated Curriculum Vitae
- an artistic statement
- a detailed description of the residency project (2000 words max.);
- support material (± 20 images of several recent works with description;)
- a list of Web links (video, sound, online projects… (Vimeo, YouTube… ) with password if applicable. Ensure videos will be accessible until 31.01.2019)
Submission of the application file
- To answer the call, please upload your compressed folder (format .rar .zip etc. – maximum 500 MB) via the UPLOAD BOX.
*To be validated, your application must be submitted on November 17th, 2019, midnight (Paris time).
** No file sent by mail, email, incomplete or received after the deadline will be accepted.
Public announcement of the laureats will be made on the websites of “European Pepinieres de Creation” and “Ateliers de l’Universel”. The Laureats page will allow candidates to check if they have been selected.
- Deadline : 17.11.2019
- Send application only via this link
- This international residency program is made possible with the financial support of the Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec (CALQ) and the partnership of Langage Plus, the Sagamie Centre and the Pepinieres Europeennes de Creation.
- The (CALQ) assumes the role of national coordinator for the Pepinieres europeennes de Creation.
National Coordinator: Diane Isabelle, Program Officer, Direction of the support to the diffusion and the international radiation.