For the fifth edition of their digital creation/arts-sciences residency exchange initiated in 2015, La Chambre Blanche (artist-run centre dedicated to experimentation in visual and digital arts based in Quebec City) and Transcultures (centre for digital and sound cultures based in La Louvière – Belgium) inaugurates a new formula associating an artist and a researcher around the same prospective creation.
For the 2020-21 season, it is the art historian and Quebec artistic curator Anne-Sophie Blanchet and the Belgian intermedia and sound artist Alain-Wergifosse who have been selected by the partners, following a call for projects launched jointly by the partners.
Two residency periods are planned: the first at Transcultures was devoted to refining the design and challenges of the project. For Alain Wergifosse, it was about preparing his next immersive installation ‘Flux & densités’, experimenting with materialistic images with an optical microscope and its electronic and sensory devices. This first phase of experimentation was intended for the composition of new images and new sounds around transforming matter and the manipulation of moving light by mechanical, optical, digital, electronic and chemical means.
At the end of this design phase fueled by discussions with Anne-Sophie Blanchet (who will also begin writing critical texts on the artist’s approach and this creative process), Alain Wergifosse proposed a video also foreshadowing what will be developed more widely in this second phase of production/finalization at La Chambre Blanche.
- 1st résidence : Autumn 2020 @ Transcultures
- 2d résidence : Spring 2021 @ La Chambre Blanche
- La Louvière (Be) + Québec City (Ca)
- Transcultures, La Chambre Blanche
- In the framework of Commission mixte permanente (CMP) Québec/Wallonie-Bruxelles.
- With the support of Wallonie-Bruxelles International, Commission mixte permanente (CMP) Québec/Wallonie-Bruxelles, La Louvière City, Ministère de la Culture de la Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles, Québec City, le Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec, ministère de la Culture et des Communications de Québec, ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie de Québec, Conseil des Arts du Canada and the Pépinières Européennes de Création.
- transcultures.be – chambreblanche.qc.ca